Monday, May 23, 2016

Girl Gone Fishing

*Side note: We all had fishing licenses and didn't keep any rainbow trout. Just so you know we are law abiding citizens*


There were a few people who tried to talk me out of going on the "guys fishing trip." I was told I couldn't "act like a girl" on the trip. Mega eye roll. 

If anything that just made me want to go even more!
                              -->to prove a girl can bait her own hook
-->catch her own fish
     -->and gut her own fish. 
Sometimes you just need to put that lipgloss on, wade out into the river, and cast! 

Holla at yo girl. 




Destination: Ennis, Montana
Population: 852

9 guys. 1 girl.

BRING IT.

My dad is just the sweetest and made sure I knew he definitely wanted me there. He's the greatest! Raised his little girl to enjoy the outdoors and also doesn't leave her behind when the boys want just the boys.

Doesn't he look like a real cowboy?!

We stayed at Rainbow Valley Lodge. It's honestly one of the cutest and most hospitable places I've ever stayed at. The owners are absolute gems and the rooms are so rustic!


Before fishing we stopped to get the right bait. This little fish is called a Bullhead. If you ask me, they are the ugliest little squirts I've ever laid eyes on. 

It was a highlight of the trip joining in and watching the "youngins" search for bait.




It almost got away from me. I wish everyone could have been there to hear my dad say, "Stay put ya slippery little bounder" as he tried to pick them up.


Everyone's language went to pot. We all have that Cache Valley accent, what do they call it? A hint of redneck hick? Well it was full blown hick once crossing the Utah state border. Or maybe it was just my dad? 

You can come ask me in person about all the little sayings and "Jeffisms." 






The first evening there the sky blossomed with oranges, pinks, blues, and purples. It was nice of Montana to welcome us with a blushing sky...


The first day of fishing we went to part of the river where our dads and their dads would always go years before. We suited up and went to fishing. It was glorious and didn't rain for the first half of the day. As I stood closer to the river bank, I watched as my dad almost fell in. 
I thought to myself, "Aw hell, here it comes. My dad is gonna go down and I'm gonna have to go in after him." 
The water was just about to fill his waders when he of course catches a fish. I don't know what looked more awkward - my dad trying to balance himself in a wide-leg stance and reeling in a fish while trying to hang onto his jacket, or a baby horse trying to walk in high-heels for the first time. 
He made it, but lost his bait box. Haha, you should have been there for that trail of cuss words. 


Weeks before the trip I watched YouTube videos on how to gut a fish. I was devoted, you guys. As soon as it came time however, I got freaked out and forgot allllll knowledge. I got back on track with a little bit of guidance. Who knew fish teeth were so SHARP?! Little weasels took some skin with them. 

The second part of the day we ended up on another part of the river in this canyon. It was stunning! And the weather was starting to get moody on us. We knew the rain was coming. 


And then it started to pour. Raining like a bat outta hell. Again we put our gear on and waded into the river. 


Even though it was pouring rain it was such a good time! The fish were biting like crazy... and so were the rocks. I can't tell you how many snags I got here. 


Like so, you'd think I had the biggest fish on the end of my line. Nope. Just a rock. Or a stick. It happened a few times. 
My dad and I sat here for a couple of hours laughing and enjoying the Montana beauty and fishing. 
This moment was so unreal. It was one of those moments when you look around and it goes into slow motion and you realize this will be one of the best memories. A memory that squeezed your heart so hard it will be impossible to forget. 
And one day it will probably make me cry to think back...






Meet my cousin Bryan (left) and Cole (right). They rode in our truck for most of the time and it was an absolute delight. These two, me, and my dad decided to venture to Cliff Lake. It's one of the prettiest places on this planet. If you haven't been, go this summer! Really, go put it on your summer bucket list right now. 


It was pouring when we got to the lake, but we had hope and started rigging up our poles. Once to the shoreline I said, "$5 to whoever catches a fish in the first 10 minutes." 

Rule #1: Don't ever make that bet. Because YOU WILL LOSE.
Rule #2: Don't make that bet.
Rule #3: Don't make that bet.

Bryan casted and started reeling in. I asked him in a you are dumb voice, "Why are you already reeling in??" 

"Cause I have a fish!"

Everyone was laughing. But me. 

In my dads words, "He must have hit the fish on the head when he casted."

But really. 

It started snowing and getting super cold. I was a weenie and put my jacket inside my waders so water dripped down my back and soaked my toosh. Everything was soaked. I got one bite and then decided I was done. I started walking back to the truck with a bit of an attitude and then the worst thing that could happen did. 

I got my hook stuck in the tree. And it was too high up for me to reach it. 

Dramatically I said, "I'm gonna kill someone." 

Set my pole down, walked back to the truck, and then changed clothes in the outhouse. 

All of this didn't matter though, because Montana. It was too pretty everywhere to be upset. I was with good company and had many laughs on this trip. 

I need to practice patience in my life. I'm not very good with being patient, so fishing is a perfect learning exercise for me. No matter how much more I like "catching" and not "fishing."






You choose happiness. Getting outside with loved ones helps, but ultimately you are in charge of your own happiness and patience is a big part of that. 

I'm learning everyday about patience, happiness, and living in the now. 

You'll have more than one snag in life and hell you will probably swear, but you'll get there. You'll float along and get a bite. Find the adventure and go with it. Stop to look around and have yourself a Diet Coke if you need it. 

Cheers!



















 photo blogautumn_zpse2b587ca.jpg

1 comment: